Monday, April 04, 2005

Teaching lessons

Monday, training. Sensei was not there, so I focused on teaching. I had everyone warm up with basics:

Oizuki jodan and chudan for lower belts, sanbon-zuki for upper belts.
Each block forward and back. Same for upper belts with gyakuzuki finish.

Kept the pace fast. Had to keep reminding Krishna, one of the white belts, to try to keep his hips level. He would lean forward all the time, and try to put too much emphasis on power when learning a technique. Also, during basics I tried to explain soto-gedan barai, so that when they do maegeri-chudan during sparring, they wouldn't hurt each other. It took me a longer time to explain how to do soto-gedan barai than I thought. It was actually frustrating me greatly that I had to repeat the same fix again and again, throughout basics training. I decided that I had to warn everyone that if they did not keep there hips level and turned during blocking that everyone would have to do push-ups. It wasn't good enough as the white belts were still not paying consistent attention to just the couple of points I told them about, so everyone did pushups, even me.

I wanted to have the white belts practice five-point sparring because testing is soon. The white belts seem to understand the techniques, but I wasn't good at explaining the ettiquette. I continued to be frustrated that I could not explain well enough.

I had the higher belts to ippon kumite and semi-free. I decided that I would need their help in teaching the techniques and procedure to the white belts, so I paired a higher belt with a lower belt. Fortunately, but also unfortunately, we only had three white belts, one yellow belt and two brown belts there.

After the end of training, when everyone was excused, I decided to let out some agression that I've been building up. I was able to make sure that I didn't let out my agression on the lower belts, aside from the pushups and angry face, so I decided to hit the mat that we wrapped up against the wall. It was theraputic to some degree. I need to take this training as a lesson for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home